Outstanding Scholar in Neuroscience Award Program (OSNAP)
2019 Call for Nominations
Nomination Deadline: November 1, 2019
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
The Outstanding Scholar in Neuroscience is a new postdoctoral recruiting effort designed to recognize and support those who are conducting exceptional research and have a great academic potential in their scientific PhD programs across the nation. Ideal candidates for the OSNAP would be PhD graduate students who have an interest in neuroscience and are within 2 years from completing their PhD program or recently graduated postdoctoral fellows who are no more than 2 years into their postdoctoral training. The OSNAP, which is sponsored by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), the National Eye Institute (NEI) the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) request that directors or mentors of graduate or postdoctoral fellowship programs nominate candidates from their programs for consideration.
There are two steps in the OSNAP process:
- First, a program director or mentor sends an email to email@example.com by November 1, 2019 stating his/her intention to nominate a PhD candidate or recent postdoctoral fellow.
- Second, all application materials are submitted by the deadline date of November 15, 2019. Submit your application here.
The application packet should include:
- Program director or mentor nomination letter for a current PhD candidate or an early stage postdoctoral fellow, describing the qualifications of the nominee including previous and current research training and accomplishments, personal characteristics that set them apart, evidence of astute scientific research skills and critical thinking, as well as enthusiasm for working with others.
- The nominee's Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter by the nominee describing their future research interests, research goals, why they should be selected for the award, and how the award will affect their career. The letter should also indicate which NIH institute (s) are of interest.
- * NCATS
- * NIDCD
- * NIGMS
- * NINDS
- * NEI
- * NIDCR
- * NIMH
Optional: Up to two additional letters of recommendation to support the application
Award recipients will be announced in January 2020 and will be invited to visit the NIH Bethesda, Maryland for an all-day program in March 2020.
The OSNAP Award includes:
- A certificate honoring selection as a NIH Outstanding Scholar in Neuroscience Award recipient.
- An invitation to visit the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD, for an all-day program where awardees meet with NIH leadership, investigators, program staff and research trainees to learn about the unique resources and research conducted in the Intramural Research Program (IRP).
- An opportunity to present a poster about their own research
- An opportunity to meet program officers from institutes of interest.
We appreciate your assistance in identifying the next generation of exceptional neuroscientists. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ashley Johnson at 301-451-4512 or firstname.lastname@example.org.