Outstanding Scholars in Neuroscience Award Program (OSNAP)
2022 Call for Nominations
Application Deadline: January 30, 2023
The Outstanding Scholars in Neuroscience Award Program (OSNAP) is designed to recognize and support those who are conducting exceptional neuroscience research across the nation and have great academic potential in their scientific training. Ideal candidates for OSNAP would be graduate students in PhD (or PhD equivalent) programs who are engaged in neuroscience research and are within 2 years from completing their PhD (or PhD equivalent) program or recent postdoctoral fellows who are no more than 2 years into their postdoctoral training. The OSNAP, which is sponsored by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), the National Eye Institute (NEI), the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) requests that directors of graduate or postdoctoral fellowship programs nominate candidates from their programs for consideration. Alternatively, mentors may nominate candidates from their research groups.
The nomination process:
- All OSNAP application materials must be submitted in the online portal by the deadline of January 30, 2023. Submit your application here.
The application packet should include:
- Program director or mentor nomination letter for a current PhD (or PhD equivalent) candidate or an early stage postdoctoral fellow, describing the qualifications of the nominee including previous and current research training and accomplishments, personal characteristics that set them apart, evidence of astute scientific research skills and critical thinking, as well as enthusiasm for working with others.
- The nominee's Curriculum Vitae.
- A cover letter by the nominee describing their future research interests, research goals, why they should be selected for the award, and how the award will affect their career. The letter should also indicate which NIH institute (s) is of interest.
- * NCATS
- * NIDA
- * NIDCD
- * NIGMS
- * NINDS
- * NEI
- * NIDCR
- * NIMH
Award recipients will be announced in April 2023 and will be invited to visit the NIH either in person at the Bethesda, MD campus or virtually (if necessary) for an Award Symposium in 2023.
The OSNAP Award includes:
- a certificate honoring selection as an NIH OSNAP recipient;
- an invitation to visit the NIH either in person at the Bethesda, MD campus or virtual (if necessary) for an Award Symposium where awardees share their science, meet with NIH leadership, investigators, and research trainees to learn about the unique resources and research conducted in the Intramural Research Program (IRP);
- the opportunity to provide a brief talk and present a poster about their own research; and
- the opportunity to meet Program Officers from institutes of interest to learn about funding opportunities.
We appreciate your assistance in identifying the next generation of exceptional neuroscientists. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Janet Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.